My Mom is an amazing cook…but much to her annoyance, all of our favorite meals she makes take her 20 minutes. She can spend hours and hours making a meal, and we will all love it just about the same as the simple things. Having been cooking on my own for a while now, I understand why this makes her nuts. To spend hours on a cake when everyone would rather eat the Shop Rite cookies…ugh!
Anyway, she gave me this recipe for chicken pasta and it has become a staple in our apartment. Jay’s #1 request…so I thought I would share since, at the end of the work day, who has 4 hours to make the food network version of recipes with 984 ingredients, when everyone loves the simple recipe just as much, if not more!
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 lb chicken breast
2 cans cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (i use one of each)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup parm
1 box ziti
Frozen broccoli (or frozen mix)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1. Brown and dice the chicken in a deep pan (that has a lid)with a little oil & butter. I put some red pepper flakes on mine in the pan, let it brown, then dice in the pan.
2. While the chicken is browning, bring a pot of water to a boil for the ziti.
3. Once the chicken is browned, add the milk, parm, and soup. Stir it up, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
4. Cover the chicken mix and let it simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Cook the pasta for the recommended time on the box (normally 10 minutes). The last 3 minutes of the pasta cooking, add your frozen broc or frozen mix to the boiling pasta.
(so if it is 10 minute pasta time, after 7 minutes add the broc, return to boil for the remaining 3 minutes)
6. Drain the pasta/veg mix, and add to the simmering chicken/soup mix that has been cooking for 10 minutes (it’s ok if it has been longer)…
7. Now stir it alllllll up!
8. Top with the cheddar. The recipe says 1/2 cup…both my Mom and I are cheese liberal, I use at least a cup…probably more. Then cover so it melts on top (about 1 minute) and you are done! Look how delicious!!
That is it! Easy, delicious, happy. In an effort to be healthy I served ours with a little salad that I made (arugula, strawberries, parm, and homemade dressing)…
Beware, making this recipe will result in you making this recipe thousands of times because everyone loves it! Thanks Mom!