Well, we did it! We traveled with the girls! We were both nervous about different aspects of the traveling, but we made it through and they were rock stars. Our way home was initially delayed an hour, then after boarding we sat on the plane for another 2+ hours. All I have to say is, thank goodness I was nutty about over-packing because we ending up using everything I packed in our carry on (thank you Vanessa for pooping 3x in an hour).
There were a few moments of fussing but (thankfully) nothing that couldn’t be solved by a toy/cracker/rest. They slept through takeoff on the way there, Vanessa thought the turbulence was funny, and they seemed to handle the delays and ear popping better than both Jay and I.
I thought I would share our lifesavers on the flight for anyone interested. We were really lucky they went with the flow and napped, but for those upset moments here are the things that saved us (times 2)…
- Before we had the girls I thought Sophie was pretty ridiculous. It’s kind of an expensive toy, and it doesn’t do anything but squeak…it looks like something I would buy Rondo for $3. Well, I was past wrong. Sophie is the greatest toy ever and whenever someone starts to whine it’s Soph to the rescue. We have a set in the house and one for on the go…not kidding. Same goes for their Wubanubs.
- These Little Yums wafers are their favorite. They have a bunch of different flavors (blueberry, kale, banana) and the girls love them all. They can eat them independently without me having to watch them like a maniac (like when I give them puffs), they get to use their hands which keeps them busy, and they help soothe their gums. We must have gone through 3 packs each flight.
- Jay got me this Kate Spade bag for Christmas. It has a pocket for everything, comes with a changing mat, and doesn’t look like a diaper bag (I don’t think I could handle walking around with a traditional diaper bag with some horrible pattern on it).
- These silly keychains were the star of the show. My aunt got them for the girls and they hadn’t really played with them until the flight, but man, they were snatching the pink one out of each others hands and chewing it like crazy. I guess the lesson here is, bring things they haven’t played with before because new is good, and who knows what they are going to love that day!
- All hail HBO go with Sesame Street. There’s nothing more to say on that.
- We got these Snap N Go strollers for the airport so we could each handle one baby instead of having the huge double stroller that puts all the work on one person. They couldn’t have worked out better. They are super light, fold up so simple, don’t have a million unnecessary bells and whistles, and could easily be checked at the gate with our car seats. A great purchase.
God speed to everyone traveling with a baby, it’s no joke!